Sunday, February 19, 2012

Newlun-Liva, Hazel Maragret 1919-1979

Birth 1919 March 8, in Fort Collins, Colorado
Death 1979 November in San Diego, California

Spouse
Married 1940 August 30
Stephen Michael Liva
Birth 1913 July 12 in Buffalo, NY
Died 1991 February 23 in Greeley, CO

Stephen Michael Liva (Hliva) was 100% Hungarian.
In Hungary, his last name Hliva was like the name Smith here, very common.
Grandfather could not speak English, so they spelled his name Levi.
[Hoeft, C. July, 2011]

Children
Carole Lucille
Birth 1942 December 16 in Denver, at St. Anthony
married in October, 1961 to
(Nyle) Glenn Brannon
Birth 1935 March 5 in Jamestown, TN
Daughter: Catherine Marie married Jeff in October, 1985
Birth 1962 August 25
Her Daughter: Elizabeth Ritchie 1985 October 20
Son: Stephan Michael "Mike" married Oki in 1986
Birth 1964 October 23
His Daughter: Julia adopted in 1998
Sons: Peter Glenn 1967 June 16
twin brother Paul, died at birth
His Daughters: Stephanie by his wife Tonia,
and Valerie

Catherine "Kay" Marie
married Tom Hoeft
Son:Greg

When my parents met, my Mom, Hazel, was working at the Denver General Store as a sales person. My Dad, Steve, learned to be a Machinist in the CC Camps. That was during the great depression.

We lived in the 1940's on 1641 Ratan, in Denver.


Liva family, c. 1950

Moved to San Diego in 1951.


Carole Liva communion


Kay Liva communion

My folks paid $10,500 when we moved to Linda Vista after staying with my other grandma and Uncle Johnny. The government had low income federal housing, so my folks were starting over from leaving Colorado and my dad just started a new job at North Island as a machinist. After my mother started working a few years later at a dry cleaners, she saved the money for a down payment. Oh, she also did mending. I think she put $500 down.

The first house that Glenn and I bought in 1967, we paid $16,500. My parents thought we were crazy.


Carol and Glenn, Thanksgiving 197?

I really didn't want to move (from Lakeside). I was working as an LVN making $9.45 hour and moved to Greeley and started as a Business Associate (old work clerk) in ICU and CCU for $4.65 hour. What a shock.

An article was in the magazine, the title was "Enough is Just Enough." When Glenn and I were interviewed, I was asked what more did I want. I looked out at almost four acres of land and no neighbors. National forest all around us.
I remember a bear on our porch eating the donuts, I forgot to burn them because you don't leave any food around. Looking at the blue jays, saw a coyote off a ways. A dirt road, was well maintained. We paved our road. Our property was called "Carole's Place" until a drunk ran off the road and up our hill and took it out. It's funny for so many acres of space between homes we had a lot more friends. I cooked almost every weekend and we would watch the football games or play games. Fun, fun. Every one helped each other. Not like the city.
[Brannon, C. July, 2011]


Steve Liva

Steve Lived in Linda Vista until Hazel's death and then moved back to Colorado to be close to family.

No comments:

Post a Comment